Potty challenge - our own story about how we forgot about diapers

Jun 10, 2015
¨Quick potty training¨ it is not a recent thing nowadays. Psychologists Nathan H. Azrin and Richard M. Foxx published the book that started it all, Toilet Training in Less Than a Day, in 1974. 30 years past since then, so I won´t amaze anybody with new tactics or new ways to train your kid to get used with a potty. But, I will tell you a story, our story, how we forgot about diapers.

It was middle of April, when I tried for the first time to train my kid to get used to a potty. I looked for a long weekend when I had the opportunity to stay almost 3 days at home. I firmly decided that in 3 days we won´t be using diapers. Just one little thing here to mention, I began alone, I didn´t prepare nor my husband, neither the nursery (very, very bad decision).

1st day, my toddler were looking at me like ¨ are you crazy mum, why did you take off my diaper ? ¨. Yep, I took off his diaper, and all the flat was pissed off, when he went to sleep I had to clean all my house... yes... very challenging.

2nd day better results, not all the apartment were pissed off, just few times, and few times in a potty. Again, when he went to sleep I had to clean all the flat, because my husband told me ¨it was your idea, so feel free¨.

3rd day, almost done, almost all the times were in a potty. When he went asleep, I prepared a lot of pairs of clothes for the nursery.

These 3 days were training during the day, during the night it was diaper. As well we went out very little within these 3 days, as I wanted to get ready my kid to the nursery.

4th day in the nursery, they told me, that they will try, but it is better to begin a little bit later potty training....hmmmm (I didn´t like this, but)... I said... OK.

....passed a week, on Friday, let´s follow our potty trainig... NO, NO, NO, our toddler was afraid and crying and didn´t want to go to a potty, it was almost impossible to train him. That weekend was the most challenging for us, our dear daddy helped a lot, as he has seen  my striving to teach our toddler, but even though it was difficult. On Sunday, the day before nursery was the easiest day of the weekend, but even though it was much more difficult to train him as it was on the previous week. The most amazing part of this, was that our toddler, were looking for a diaper on a usual place, and gave it to me.

Almost 3 or 4 weeks we were struggling in such a way his potty training. It was difficult, but we did it, as nothing is impossible.



NEXT STEP. Get out the diaper during the night. A challenging task, but I found it easier than during the day, in JUST 2 nights we trained our toddler to a potty, during the night.

Counting back, potty training took us almost one month. We did it, it was taugh, stressful, messy, but we have good results now.

I think that to train to a potty your kid in 3 to 7 days, you need to be, or a stay at home mum, or to take some holidays or to be helped by the nursery. For us it was challenging because we did it with my husband, and nursery´s contribution was seen only when our diapers in the nursery got finished.

Every bad experience or a good one come with a lesson, my lesson was: be open and ASK FOR HELP, and other thing that I learnes was patience.

Wish you a good experience, and this task on your job as a MUM to be the easiest one.

No comments:

Post a Comment